BIG, BIG news!
We have some major news: our client ALWAYS x ALWAYS has not only captured the attention of SELF Magazine, but also earned a coveted spot on their 2017 Healthy Living Awards list with their much loved palm leaf yoga mat.
Considering it was only five months ago we launched this beautiful brand into the world, this feels like a major moment. The yoga mat has been covered by many of our favourite top tier publications (locally, across Canada as well as throughout the U.S.), but to be chosen and tested and compared against literally hundreds of other products is its own kind of nod.
The judging process
At SELF, we believe that the gear and apparel we choose to sweat it out in should work as hard as we do. But with so many choices out there, we know it can be tough to figure out which products are actually worth the money (not to mention cute enough to have all your friends asking where you got them).
That’s why, for this year’s Healthy Living Awards, SELF editors tested over 450 products to bring you the top 100 items that will help you stay healthy and active every day. To nail down our criteria, we consulted 22 athletes, trainers, and gear pros across a variety of disciplines to find out what they look for in fitness gear (think quality, durability, comfort, and style). Once we knew what criteria the pros rely on, we tested every single product to bring you the best.
The awards are divided into 17 categories, and we’ve included everything you need to be your healthiest, fittest self, whether you’re looking for a sports bra that keeps everything in place, leggings that pass the “squat test” (meaning they don’t become see-through), or headphones that won’t fall out when you run.
And because healthy living requires much more than great gear, we’ve also included awards for the best trainers, classes, and organizations that we feel are doing an amazing job at keeping people inspired to live their best lives.
The advisory panel
- Allison Abriss - triathlete, marathoner, and sales manager at Paragon Sports
- Liz Adams - five-time CrossFit regional athlete and CrossFit trainer
- Robin Arzon - Peloton instructor and influencer
- Bree Branker- NASM and ISSA certified trainer
- Kristin Calabria - ACSM, barre, and yoga certified instructor
- Roz the Diva - Athlete and body positivity activist
- Lexi Dupont - professional skier
- Dena Evans - Strava Track Club coach
- Louise Green - personal trainer, SELF columnist, and body positivity activist
- Camille Herron - Ultra runner and 2017 Comrades Marathon winner
- Gwen Jorgensen - 2016 Olympic Triathlon gold medalist
- Rachel Mariotti- Equinox trainer (Tier III)
- Katie Meili - competitive swimmer and two-time Olympic medalist
- Kailey Morris - assistant aquatics director at Chelsea Piers in CT
- Rachel Nicks - pre/post-natal trainer at Flex Studios and New York Sports Club Lab
- Hope Oldham - REI Outdoor School Instructor
- Sierra Quitiquit - professional skier
- Morit Summers - personal trainer and body positivity activist
- Jessie Tietjen - REI Outdoor School Instructor
- Debora Warner - founder of Mile High Run Club
- Andia Winslow - pro golfer and performance sports coach
- Chelsea Yamase - adventure athlete, outdoor enthusiast, and model
“I leave it out in my living area as a decorative piece, which is a nice reminder to get me on the mat,” one tester said. The microfiber top helps with grip and absorbs sweat, so you won’t slide out of your poses. Another selling point?
The handy strap is clutch.”
Click here to read more about ALWAYS x ALWAYS and this year's winners. Congratulations, team! We are so proud to work with you.
Ashley Cassidy Seale
Founder & Creative Director